A critical care nurse, also known as an ICU nurse, is responsible in taking care of patients dealing with life-threatening conditions. Nurses working in an intensive care unit (ICU) will have to provide continuous care for various patients with brain injuries, cardiac problems, accidental injuries, and more. Critical care nurses will also keep themselves updated on emergency medicine by listening to a critical care podcast, so that they can provide even better care for their patients. Here’s more you should know:
Important Qualities of a Critical Care Nurse:
A nurse working in urgent care should possess multiple nursing skills to deliver a comfortable experience for individual patients. They have to examine each one of them on a daily basis, communicate with other members of their team about the patient’s condition, and make note of complications, if any. Emergency medicine podcasts also help them become a better healthcare professional. A successful critical care nurse should have the following important skills:
– Problem solving
– Critical thinking
– Planning & Decision making
When a patient suffers from heart attack, stroke, or respiratory difficulties all of a sudden, a critical care nurse must respond to the emergency immediately and provide the right treatment necessary.
Important Duties and Responsibilities:
Here’s a list of common duties and responsibilities that critical care nurses will have:
– Look into the details or records of the ICU patients.
– Examine the diagnostic tests and analyse the condition of the patient.
– Modify the treatment based on the patient’s response.
– Frequently coordinate with the members of the critical care team about the treatment plan.
– Document the medical history of the patient as well as the findings obtained through observation.
– Take care of fluid intake and observe any growing concerns including imbalances in fluid and electrolyte.
– Offer life support and treat complex wounds.
– Make sure every equipment used in the intensive care facility are stored safely after use.
– Promptly notify about an equipment malfunction to the relevant personnel.
– Evaluate the pain levels of a patient and providing sedation accordingly.
– Supervise and guide other nurses or staff who have less skills or experience in urgent care.
3 Tips to Remember:
– Critical care nurses are supposed to respond to emergencies almost instantaneously. But don’t rush it when there’s too many tasks at hand. Pause for a moment and take a few seconds to think about what you have to do. Now get started with the most important task first and proceed with the rest.
– Never forget to take a break. Constantly being on ‘crisis’ mode will be draining, and you’ll eventually become less efficient and less productive at work. Take a break because you deserve it. Perhaps listening to an urgent care podcast is a nice pastime.
– Don’t feel guilty just because you cannot work 24/7. Remember that you have a life outside work. Try your best, do your part, and pass along what you cannot fulfill.
Critical care nursing is a powerful profession that can change the lives of thousands of people. Nursing or medicine is a continuous learning process, so be sure to get the guidance from the experts or listen to emergency medicine podcasts whenever you can.
The author runs an urgent care podcast that helps healthcare professionals attain the best knowledge on emergency medicine. In this article, he explains the important roles and responsibilities expected of an urgent care nurse. Visit https://critcareedu.com.au/ to know more.