Having a criminal record can impact your life in many ways. Even if you’re not found guilty, you’ll be affected greatly as the criminal charges won’t be emitted from your record. In some cases, it might be deleted after several years based on the crime you’ve been charged with. However, it’s important to minimise your exposure to criminal prosecution not only to protect yourself but also from the impacts of a criminal record. A lawyer Parramatta can help remove your criminal record and make sure your rights are protected.
What is a Criminal Record?
It is a police record that consists of a list of criminals’ past and current convictions. The police record may also include non-convictions like withdrawn charges, discharges, and acquittals, court records, and other pieces of criminal charges records. While not all dealings with the police can result in a criminal record, if you’re charged with a serious criminal offence, it is considered to be a type of criminal record. Hence, even though a non-conviction isn’t technically deemed as a crime, it can still be part of the state police record and might show up on a criminal record.
A criminal conviction will always result in a criminal record. The information displayed on the criminal record depends on the level of the check being conducted by the police and their policies regarding whether or not to disclose the entire information.
If you’ve ever been charged with a criminal offence, you’ll have a criminal record that will appear on police record searches. Even if you’re found not guilty or your charges were withdrawn or dismissed, a court record of your trial, it will show in the local police criminal records.
Once a criminal case exists, it’s necessary to take proper steps to have the record removed with the help of criminal lawyers Parramatta.
How Can a Criminal Record Impact Your Life?
Even minor criminal offences on your record could greatly affect your life in many ways, including:-
• Guilt And Shame – Defensive reactions to feelings of shame and guilt can make you blame others for problems. Moreover, a guilt trip will haunt you forever.
• Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) – Imprisonment and penalties can result in post-traumatic stress disorder. You might experience difficulty in sleeping, unexpected outbursts of anger, nightmares, emotional numbness, and overwhelming feelings of guilt.
• Unemployment – Having criminal records can make it more challenging and difficult to find employment as most employers will conduct a criminal background check.
• Emotional Distancing – Behaviours developed during imprisonment can lead to an inability to socialise with people around you.
• Social reputation – Your reputation will be completely damaged as discrimination against those charged with crimes, even if not convicted, is widespread.
• Divorce – Your partner might divorce you for convicting a crime.
• Child Custody – Criminal charges and convictions can limit your child custody rights.
Are you charged with a criminal offence? Do you need Parramatta legal aid? Please speak to a criminal lawyer nearby you.
The author is one of the best criminal lawyers in Parramatta. Along with the team of professionals, he helps clients effectively navigate the legal system and achieve the best possible outcome for their circumstances. Visit https://powerhouselaw.sydney/ for more details.